Thursday 25 August 2011

This is Africa...

Tonight is the night, my last night in Africa. I have one more day left at school, then its back home to pack my suitcase, and on to the airport. From when I open my eyes, it's a straight 32 hours until I'm back home in Coventry... maybe 38 hours until I sleep again. I never could sleep on a plane. I've clocked up many thousands of miles of airtime these last few years... I don't recall sleeping a wink.

This has been an amazing experience. It really has. More than I thought it would. Worth giving up my summer for. I'll be sad to go home... though it is about time I started my "real life"... as depressing as that may sound.

South Africa has been cold, but I've only ever seen the rain once. Consider this a soundtrack to my emotions:



I've lived in South Africa, I've taught in a township of Jo-burg, I've seen the Bafana Bafana, gazed upon the Big 5, stroked a lion, made new friends, taught many new people, hopefully made a difference to a few.

Even if I've only influenced a few pupils during my time here, I know I have influenced the teacher who was watching me. He has a wealth of experience in many countries in Africa, but with no formal training, he has also learned a few things from me. That was nice to hear. Although all I did was deliver lessons similar to how I was taught at school, I was lucky enough to be blessed with good teachers, a luxury not everyone will have. Now it is those simple ideas I learned that I have passed on that break down this challenging subject that he will now adopt in his future lessons. I may only have changed a few outlooks for the positive, but the teacher I leave behind will come in contact with thousands of other pupils. The transfer of knowledge will multiply exponentially. That is progress, that is the real difference I may have made.

I'd love to come back here and volunteer for another summer, but I don't think I'm going to get the chance. Real life may get in the way. I'm going home to a new house, a new town, a new job, and I'll probably need to buy a new car. It will be nice to see the the old friends, the family, and the girlfriend. She has been an Angel, tolerated my Wanderlust, and will hopefully be looking forward to seeing me again...! I could have bought a wife for two dozen cows, but Suzi Bee is worth all the cows in Africa...(I'm really hoping that came across as a compliment... because it was!)

Tomorrow I teach my final lessons, and say goodbye to the young minds I leave behind. They will be missed. I wish there was more I could do for them, but I'm in no position to help them all.

Like the monk who walked along the beach with his companion, stranded starfish washed upon the shore for as far as the eye could see, destined to die. He picked one up, tossed it back in the ocean, and moved along to the next one. His companion asked why he bothered, he could not possibly save all of them. "Maybe not" the monk replied, as he tossed another back into the sea..."but I made a difference to that one"...

That was a story I heard that was told at my friends memorial service in Borneo back in 2007. He died there on our expedition doing what he loved, and making a difference to all of those he came into contact with. He made a lasting difference to me. Since then, I've taken every opportunity life has presented me, grateful for the chances I was lucky enough to be given. You never know when it will all be taken away. You taught me a lot Toby, and if God blessed Heaven with Wifi, I hope you can read this and realise the difference you made to my life. I dedicate this one to you:




"For what its worth, it was worth all the while"...

For the rest of you, I'll see you when I get home.

Jx

No comments:

Post a Comment